How To Apply for Habitat for Humanity
An in-depth investigation, including credit and reference checks, as well as an in-home interview, is to be conducted by members of the Family Partnership Committee. There are 3 main criteria for selecting applicants:
The need for housing, as determined by the condition of the current shelter:
- Inadequate heating system, water supply or plumbing, electrical system, bathrooms, kitchen, roof, structure, etc.
- Inadequate number of bedrooms based on number of persons in household, with consideration of members’ age and sex.
- Excessive rent.
- Inability to secure a conventional home mortgage.
- Resident of Atlantic County for at least one year.
The ability to pay:
- There is a minimum and maximum income requirement based on family size. Combined income includes all sustainable sources of income (employment, social security, SSI, disability, etc.) for all household members. Please see income guidelines as determined by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (the family’s annual income should fall between 30% and 80%) below. Income Guidelines are based on family size.
- Ability to save up the down payment (approx. $500), and closing costs (approximately $2,500-$3,000).
- Willingness to make regular payments on outstanding debts in accordance with a repayment plan.
The partnership of adult members of the household (18 years and older):
- Full disclosure of financial and personal situations.
- Verification from employers, creditors and landlords.
- Enthusiasm for the Habitat program of partnership and community building.
- Willingness to contribute at least 250 hours of Sweat Equity.
When all selection criteria are equally met, the applicant with the greatest need will be selected.
(NOT OPEN AT THIS TIME)
Each applicant must undergo credit and reference checks, as well as an in-home interview conducted by members of the Family Partnership Committee. Combined annual income should fall between 30 percent and 80 percent of local median income as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Applicants must be able to save up enough money for a down payment and closing costs, about $3,000.
Applicants must be willing to make regular payments on outstanding debts in accordance with a repayment plan.
Applicants must contribute at least 250 hours to construction.
Contact us at 609-487-9472 for an application on home ownership.
Dear Habitat Volunteer:
Thank you for taking the time to make the arrangements for yourself and/or your group to become a part of Habitat for Humanity Atlantic County. The mission of Habitat for Humanity Atlantic County is to partner with God and families in need of adequate housing, bringing together people from all walks of life to revitalize Atlantic County neighborhoods through the construction of decent, affordable homes. Our mission can only be accomplished through the generous volunteer support of people like yourself.
Interested in Volunteering?
Email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep your information on file and contact you when we have a volunteer opportunity availability!